Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Monday, January 17, 2011

Goals

I made the comment to my daughter a few nights back that I needed to work on not being a bum. I think I let cancer set me adrift. It's time to pull myself together and be a bit more productive again. Within reason, of course. I want to take my life back from cancer. We may have to get along together, but I'm the boss.

Then this morning I open an email from a friend who suggests I set some non-cancer goals to help me get through the next four months of chemo. Four months of chemo is daunting, but if I set some simple, short term goals it might make it easier. OK. I get the hint, God. So here are my initial thoughts.

I haven't set and kept an honest-to-goodness goal in forever. Sort of. I laid out a three year plan to complete my college degree by May, 2011. Starting in May of 2008 I charged through 25 straight months of night classes without a break. Then last summer I caught my breath and spent a week at Scout camp with my boys followed by a colonoscopy. School got put on hold and cancer has been running the show ever since.

This week I will figure out where my time is being spent. What am I doing with my 24 hours each day? Realistically I have priorities, but surely there is room in my life to enjoy reading a book or learning a new dance step on purpose. (No seriously, Carla and I love to dance. That's why we built a ballroom in our basement.)

Carla's birthday, 2010

Carla and I also set a goal on Saturday to eat at our favorite Thai restaurant in three weeks. My chemo goes in three week cycles with 14 days on and seven days off. We thought it would be fun to eat out at the end of each seven days off. So that makes two goals. Yummy!

Another thought. I borrowed a book in December that I'm several chapters into but haven't read since the first of the year. Not only did I receive three new books for Christmas, but Fiona recently shared several more book recommendations. Instead of being overwhelmed and getting nowhere, how about I finish the book I'm on during this first three week cycle? Once I'm back in the habit I can then look at what I want to read on my own and what would be fun to read with a group of friends. Fiona oops! Carole suggested the group idea, and I like it.

Carole

Fiona

My commitment this week, then, is to use my time more wisely, making room for some fun and chemo-appropriate activities. In three weeks I will have finished reading The Overton Window and celebrated completion of my first chemo cycle by taking Carla out to our favorite Thai restaurant. Thanks for the email, Fiona. How's that for goals?

10 comments:

  1. "not being a bum" ha ha. You and Carole have plenty of opportunity for puns. "Pain in the bum", "Kick butt" etc. Not fair, I can't think of any for liver :(.
    Carole is the one to credit with the cyber reading idea.
    I've just finished my Christmas book and the Club deadline for 'Book Thief' is a way off yet, Feb 15th. Thought I might join you in 'Overton Window' but (a) via that famous on-line bookstore I have to pay delivery from US (b) my library doesnt have it (c) it's reviewed as 'ludicrous' and 'of no literary value' - oh dear!
    When you reach your first 3 week goal, perhaps choose something none of us have read and the next goal can be a combined one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Fiona, we colorectal cancer people get all the good puns. I told my doctor when I went in for surgery that I thought I was getting a bum deal! Took him a second before he laughed...

    I started reading The Overton Window because my wife's brother and a few other friends liked it. They follow the author's radio talk show religiously, you might say. Now that you mention the reviews, that might explain why I stopped reading after a few chapters. We may end up starting our group read a little sooner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I gave credit to Carole for the group book idea back in the post. I do remember that now. What can I say? I'm back on chemo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! and *I* didn't even realise it WAS me...and I'm not even on Chemo :-))

    Happy reading you two...I'm reading alternative medical stuff at the moment, getting my long term plans together via diet, supplements and holistic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I like your goals too...Thai dining and maybe even some dancing with your lovely wife sounds like excellent use of your time to me.

    Whatever else you can fit in, great - but so far the first two sound great.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Carole. Carla has been giving me various supplements and working on my diet as well. I usually don't ask what the pills are, I just swallow whatever she hands me. She and her mother have been using holistic practices for many years. It took me some time getting used to their approach when I first married into the family, but I've seen enough results to trust their judgment. Our children have been raised using both western medicine and holistic practices. They don't know the difference. Carla simply does what she feels is best under each set of circumstances. If she tells me to soak in a tub with baking soda and a few other things thrown in I do it. I always feel better afterwards. I think you'll be glad to have these additional health practices in your cancer fighting arsenal.

    As to not remembering things, I usually have to blame it on my advancing age. So as long as I have cancer, it's nice to pull the cancer/chemo card out instead. :-) Kind of a diversion, eh? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, you're not only a bum - you're arms and legs and other stuff. I'm glad you noticed that those parts still work. (smiles)

    ... I know, something only a big sister can get away with mentioning!

    Hey, I know a place where you could buy red one-piece long johns. You could where those around with a cowboy hat and cowboy boots like Jed does. Maybe you just need a change of clothes. (smiles)

    As far as reading is concerned, I am still partial to "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. She is a talented, funny and inspiring writer.

    Love you Bro., The Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, I love that Carla is feeding you supplements and allsorts. Brilliant.

    I honestly do think that if you have to have Chemo then taking care of your immune system is absolutely essential...even if you're not doing the Chemo (like me), the immune system is still the key to it all.

    Maybe Carla could set up a blog with alternative remedies for us all to refer to. I'd trust Carla's judgement rather than some of the snakes out there.
    Back to my reading now....I'm keeping myself inspired :-)

    Much luv to you both xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. SSITTING ON YOUR BUTT READING A BOOK NOT MUCH EXCERSIZE PUT THE BOOK DOWN AND START WALKING KEEPS YOUR MIND WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE
    YEA WHAT DO I KNOW ,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think setting goals is a great idea! Setting goals is one of my favorite things to do and rewarding when you accomplish them, which I know you will. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete