Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mile 17

Hello. My name is Steve.

(I haven't written in awhile, so some of you may have forgotten my name. :-))

I think part of the reason for the gap is because how I'm doing seems trivial at times compared to how others are doing. Who am I to complain or have a tough day? I haven't looked at my own blog in days and then when I do, I find out that David's journey is over.

I loved you, David, just because we were comrades in cancer. I knew you through your blog for only a few short months and you likely never knew me. But I know this, the world is now short a truly gentle man among men. My prayers continue for your family.

As for me, I'm dealing with my own journey through cancer. The intellectual part of me knows not to compare my journey with others. We each have to travel our own road, though none of us really travel alone. I'd say at the very least we have angels at our side. (My personal favorite angel is my wife, Carla.)

All right, then. Here's my update on how I'm doing.

I'm doing.

That's about it, really. Round 4 finished OK. The week off went faster than it should have. That or it's getting harder to recover between rounds.

We started round 5 a bit concerned for my feet (hands too, actually). Three days in things got a bit scary. That was Sunday night. My hands and feet turned a very angry red and threatened to split into open soars in several places. Each of my big toes got infected around the toe nails which hurt with the slightest pressure. My oncologist has always asked me to watch for any open wounds. This is the closest we've ever come.

I went ahead and took my Xeloda the next morning and drove in to work. Carla got on the phone with the nurse who got word to my oncologist. They stopped my chemo immediately. Three days off, no questions asked. If things calm down we will start again Thursday night. That's tomorrow night. Things are calming down, sort of.

Carla has slathered my hands and feet with plain yogurt for the last two nights. Interestingly effective at sloughing off dead skin and removing the heat. My skin actually returns to its pre-chemo white for a time. So my hands are back to their normal, poorly chemo condition, and my feet have made some healing progress.

The second thing my oncologist did was reduce my dosage. Music to my ears. I completed round 1 on eight pills a day (4000 mg). It kicked my butt. I started round 2 on seven pills a day and finished on six. Rounds 3 and 4 were both done on six pills a day. Round 5 (the one I'm in the middle of) started on six, took a three day break, and will finish on five (2500 mg).

There is also the part where cancer and cancer treatment just wears you down over time. I've managed to work partial days for the last three days.

Tomorrow night it's dinner with a serving of chemo for dessert. Must keep fighting cancer.

Now, let's explain the title for this post - Mile 17.

I have completed 34 marathons over the last 18 years. That's 26.2 miles each (42 k). One of my favorite courses is in northern Utah. It's called the Top of Utah marathon. For ten consecutive years I found myself at the starting line up Blacksmith Fork canyon. Absolutely gorgeous.

By mile 14 you reach the mouth of the canyon where you see your friends and family for the first time during the race. Exhilarating. Then the course flattens out for three miles while it winds through a tranquil neighborhood. You pop out at mile 17.

For 14 miles you feel the excitement of the race, enjoy the fall colors blanketing the canyon walls, talk with other runners along the way, and look forward to seeing the fans at mile 14. For the next three miles your legs adjust to the flat course. Still a bit of talking between fellow runners. I see my family again at mile 17 and then things begin to change.

At mile 17 the course turns due north and heads for the finish line in Logon, Utah. At mile 17 I have completed two thirds of the course. My body begins to assess what it has left in the tank. There is little or no talking with other runners. It is the most quiet part of the race for me. I focus on my pace, my posture, my breathing, the next water station, the next mile marker.

Marathons have a notorious wall at mile 20. Many runners fade quickly at this point in the race. Often sooner. Hanging on to the finish begs for true endurance. I actually love this part of the race. It humbles you every time. My focus becomes the next corner, the next telephone pole, the next runner to try and pass.

Gently, ever so slowly you creep up on another runner and pass them by. The only words exchanged are words of encouragement. "Looking good," says the runner being passed. "You've got this one," says me.

And then I finish the race. I turn the last corner just after the mile 26 marker, giving one final burst of energy up the street to the city park. I cross the finish line having left it all on the course. I'm exhausted, pert near dehydrated, and completely happy. It's awesome.

My cancer diagnosis came on July 30, 2010. My final surgery will be in mid June. I am two thirds of the way through my protocol.

I am currently receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. I have completed 4 of 6 rounds ending on May 11. That means I am two thirds of the way there.

Two thirds in either case puts me at mile 17.

Mile 17 - Boston Marathon

13 comments:

  1. Great to read your update. Not far now to the finish tape.
    Dont get distracted and start reading any other posts on my blog but this was for you
    http://fiona-onwardsandupwards.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-steve.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Steven ~

    I am so very sorry to hear about your friend David's journey ending. What a sweet tribute you paid to him. You are right about not comparing your situation with others. Only the Lord knows this marathon's route for you, even if you are at Mile 17. Since you have never run this particular race before, you have the advantage of a Lord's eye view of the course. You are doing awesome because you are awesome. You inspire people more than you will ever know. I am so proud of you, feet cracks and all. Or is that wise cracks and all? Star Child, fight on ~ and win.

    Love you, Lauri (aka The Big Sister)

    PS: If your hands are cracked up, did you type this with your tongue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve ~

    I just went to Fiona's blog post for you. What a very cool friend she is! I definitely think she is a keeper. (smiles)

    Me again, The Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve,

    With regard to the sore hands/feet you might want to ask your Oncologist if it's okay to try this cream
    http://www.udderlysmooth.co.uk/oncology.htm

    Although this is UK link it IS available from Amazon.com in the US....

    Quite a few people have used it when undergoing Chemo and have said that it really seems to help. But check with your team obviously.

    2/3rd of the way is 'almost there'...keep going marathon man - we're all cheering for you along the way :-)

    Great to see a post from you again - you WERE missed y'know xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. You're almost there. =) I know you can do it. Just remember which part of the race is your favorite. ;-) It may be humbling but when you cross that finish line you'll be able to smile and know it was all worth it.

    Love and Hugs,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Fiona.

    Thank you again for my post on your blog. It really made my day to see that, albeit a week later. :-}

    I envy T that he gets to work outside from time to time in such pretty places. Work for him must be sheer pleasure most days.

    How are your patients doing? I know you enjoy helping them. Are you able to keep up physically?

    I hope all is well for you. I look forward to catching up on your blog as I can. Promise.

    Hugs and more hugs,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Lauri.

    You're still my favorite older sister. (For the rest of you, she is my only older sister. :-)) Thank you for the marathon reminder. Many meaningful memories come to mind at the mention of Star Child as well. Thank you.

    Keep doing what you do best,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carole,

    If you are feeling left out, you are my favorite Carole. And yes, I only know one! So that should make it extra special. :-)

    Carla tried some version of the Udderly Smooth cream back before my surgery. Her nose is so sensitive to fragrances that we had to pass it on. I'll have to look and see if they make a fragrance free version. Thanks for the tip, and for looking after me...

    I truly love and miss my running. At some point last week I imagined where I would be on an actual marathon course. We all know that cancer is an endurance event too. That's when it hit me. Once I knew where I was at on the course I could explain my current behavior.

    Thanks a ton for missing me. It means a lot to have you cheering me on along the course.

    My thoughts and prayers are always with you, even if I'm not on the blogs as often as I'd like.

    Keep scattering sunshine, Beautiful Lady. You mean so much to so many.

    Say, did you ever get that soak in the tub? I still like the super glue idea.

    Either way, may you be blessed with continual patience and consistent, steady healing.

    "You've got this one," says me.

    Much love,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brittany!

    You did it. You're here. You're so awesome.

    Thanks for reminding me which part of the race is my favorite. I would have to love the hardest part, wouldn't I?

    It sure is great to see you here. I can't wait to see you again in person. Next week, right?

    Love and hugs back at ya,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Steve
    It was our London Marathon today. Behind the elite althletes come all the determined amateurs running for charity. Three cheers for them all, particularly as today was an unusually hot dry day for London in April.
    Three more cheers for you on your marathon.
    I'm not sure if I'm going forwards or backwards in mine, as having been referred to a hepatologist, which I thought was progress at last, my team are falling out and disagreeing over the diagnosis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, I like your counter.

    Love, The Big Sister (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I was so concentrated on you that I forgot why I "called". THANK YOU for my birthday presentssssssss! I am very excited to open them. I am waiting until my actual birthday on Wednesday to open them. You guys are totally sweet for thinking of me in your crazy lack of sleep and energy deprived days. I can't wait to see what's in the boxes!

    For you Readers of Steve's and Carla's, they have sent me a shoe box full of smaller boxes each wrapped to be opened in numerical order. Super fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Steve, Here is my high school friend's blog: www.jacobsrunning.blogspot.com

    --Mary

    ReplyDelete