Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cruisin' Alaska, Baby!


That's right, folks. We're taking a cruise to Alaska in August. No kids, just me and the Mrs.. Carla has had this cruise on her wish list for years. Thanks to her brother, it's happening. He's been trying to get their parents on a cruise for some time now. It worked out for this summer. Most of the siblings (Carla is the oldest of seven children) and many of their spouses are coming. We've booked six or seven cabins at this point. Little did her brother know when he made these plans that the cruise would fall on my one year cancer anniversary. So Happy Birthday to my mother-in-law, and Happy Cancer Anniversary to me!

Of course there's still a bit of chemo between me and that cruise, but why let a bunch of pink pills stop me from seeing some of God's beautiful earth. (Carole, you're my inspiration here. Rhodes is gorgeous. Oh, and Angela is going to Maui. I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.) And lest we forget, there's also a farewell party for Stanley before I get on the boat. (Tony, why change perfection? Stanley is the perfect name for a stoma. So I stole the name from you. :-)) My reversal is set for June, a month after finishing chemo. THEN I am getting on that ship with my wife. Together we'll celebrate the victory of our one year battle with rectal cancer. We're going to win the war as well. That's the five year cancer anniversary.

I'm doing all right as far as treatment goes. I decided last weekend that I wasn't going to play the role of cancer patient any more. None of this walking gingerly stuff and looking the part. I've been taking short walks at work and some in the evenings with Carla and the kids. After a week back on chemo I'm actually feeling better than the last round. The regular physical activity is helping. Nothing else has changed, but my body seems to be handling it better. That and I've gone through twice the lotion on my hands and feet this week. Just working harder to stay on top of the side effects. I'm liking the results this round. That's a good thing considering I really didn't want to start round four.

I continue to offer my thanks and gratitude for all of the support that comes through this blog. You all are simply the best. Maybe I should book a few more cabins for my cyber friends, eh?

Bon voyage!

10 comments:

  1. Or friends across the street! :) That sounds SO dreamy! And I think its a perfectly brilliant idea-- something so incredible to look forward to. So glad to hear things are going better this time around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or friends called the Big Sister! :) I am so happy for you both. What a way to celebrate the year called "If We Can Do This, We Can Do Anything!" Steve, I am so thrilled to see you blogging again. I have missed that, though Carla, our dear sweet partner-in-crime, has done beautifully.

    Sail on, Bro.! Love, Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful goal to have in the distance as you head toward your chemo finish line. And to be going with so many members of your family must be great. You certainly have a big one with all the in-laws not forgetting how many nephews and nieces? - Lauri has 10 kids for starters!?

    How are you doing with your individual goals? The Thai meal and the dancing.

    Hugs ((o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree you need to book some for your friends across the street, Mary got that right. You know your partner in crime over here (you hoo, hey over here, just across the street) would like one of those cabins. Anyway, I digress. I hope you and the Mrs. have fun! Me and my Mrs will keep an eye on the homestead and the children for ya. I know, I mean its just a sacrifice, but I'll do it. LOL... see ya Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great u will

    love it,tey will spoil u rotten,we are very happy for u, every one should see alaska,at least once,

    where u picking up the ship,are u flying in to anchorage.

    one thing, dont forget the rain coat and

    boots, you wii have a ball, dont get to heavy on the trip food is great
    love aunt dianna,& unk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve and Carla,

    How are things going at the moment for you both?

    Much luv and sending positive thoughts your way

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Steve and Carla ~

    I too am wondering about you. I called Steve's cell phone which was disconnected. I called Carla's cell phone and left a message today, but there was no indication on the message that it was your phone number. Please call me for a quick check up if you have a minute. Hope all is well. Maybe even Nathan or Rachel could just call me quickly. Thanks.

    Love ya, Lauri (aka The Big Sister)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Friends ~

    I talked with Steven last night by phone. He sounds good, but feels weak. I will fill you in as he can. He is "focusing" right now on only what is necessary. He is a sweetheart.

    Love,
    Lauri (aka The Big Sister, aka Reporter from Mesa, AZ (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the update Lauri.

    I check Steve's blog often and have been concerned how quiet he has been lately.

    Hope he is taking time off work and resting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Friends ~

    Steve is not taking time off from work. He has a full schedule, slipping in rest here and there. He knows you all are concerned for him, but he has not had the stamina to write. He told me two days ago that he had started a blog to you all. He has the title written. That's a good start. I know he loves you all and is concerned about you all. He is thankful you are his friends. Don't give up on him. He said he is two-thirds of the way through! Yeah!!

    Love,
    Lauri (aka The Big Sister, aka Reporter from Mesa, AZ)

    FYI: If any of you are looking for a brain break, come join me on either or both of my main blogs. They are sometimes serious, sometimes funny, and always I hope uplifting. "Daisies are Pink? Oh, I Have so Much to Learn! is at lauriegan.blogspot.com, and "Eat, Pray, Love: The Challenge" is at eatpraylovethechallenge.blogspot.com. I write to them every day.

    Wishing you all peace.

    ReplyDelete