Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good is that tomorrow is my last day of chemo and radiation. Can you say, "One more day!"

The bad is that after six weeks of daily chemo and daily radiation my poor body is shot. As in no energy—zero, zip, nada. I am good for about four to six hours when I wake up in the morning and then it's nap time. My neighbor, Mark, drives me in to work if I'm up to it. We decide each morning. If I don't go to work then I crash on the couch until time for treatment. If I do go to work then Carla, my wife, picks me up at 2:00 in the afternoon and takes me to Huntsman Cancer Institute for my radiation. Then I go home and sleep until dinner. Usually I fall asleep in the car coming home. So that is the good and the bad.

The ugly is the angry red rash on my forearms and hands, my blistered and sensitive feet, my swollen fingers and toes, my raw throat, my chapped lips, my sore bum (inside and out), my upset stomach, and my overall achy body. We won't talk about what comes out of my digestive tract. Just two nights ago Carla let out a gasp as she went to apply lotion to my backside. It gets red from radiation burn. When I asked about her reaction she said my skin had split vertically opening up a crack just below my tail bone. That means I have a crack inside my plumber's crack. Pretty cool. Maybe with a hand mirror I could see it too. I tried to calm Carla by saying that cancer just cracks me up. She didn't appreciate the humor this time. Bless her heart, she has fought for six weeks to keep my side effects at bay only to have a new one show up in the final week of treatment.

At this point I think I'll throw in a bonus to the good, the bad, and the ugly. How about the pretty?

My wife is pretty amazing, pretty awesome, pretty incredible, and pretty darn persistent when it comes to getting me through this cancer adventure. I'll even say that she is just plain pretty. It is pretty comforting having a companion, helpmeet, nurse, massage therapist, and friend for a wife. Since she can't take the cancer away, she is doing her absolute best to minimize everything else. And she's doing a pretty fine job. Her love and devotion to me and our children paints a pretty picture indeed. I love you, pretty woman!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Steve, your really not missing too much at Applied Signal. It is a great time for a nice long nap.
    I really do not know Carla too well. But the first day I seen her, I knew why you were so happy in your step. God bless both of you.
    That you two will have a long happy life together here on earth and partake all the fine moments that will come for you and your children.
    Remember, through conflict there is growth.
    LIVE LOVE LAUGH
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, what can you say after all that?!?!?! Sounds so un-fun I can't even begin to express! We think about you all the time over here... Carla is pretty dang awesome! You both are and we're so lucky and happy to be your neighbors and friends! Here's to the next month or so of letting your body try to recover from all the poison, all the while still killing the tumor, right? One treatment at a time... Hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, you wife is pretty awesome and pretty darn good at taking care of you and making sure you are OK. I really like how you ended this one with a tribute of thanks to her. Thats awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, for some reason I have missed reading this most wonderful post until today. You and Carla are truly amazing people! What examples you both are of enduring to the end... with grace.

    Carla, thank you so much for being the sweet spirit that you are! You are such a blessing in my brother's life! I am so glad that he recognizes that! You are a terrific mom and sister as well. May God continue to sustain you in your service. I love you!

    Steve, with all the trials you have already surpassed, you can handle anything! i am sure of it! I am so glad the Lord has blessed you with Carla, a wonderful boss, and a great sense of humor. Isn't it nice to know that if He is going to be challenging us, that He provides relief as well? I pray for your continued rest and recovery and a speedy return to work as you desire so much to support your family financially. May Lord give you the desires of your heart. As a note, your heart is far bigger than most I have seen and I have found that blessings from the Lord come proportionately. In your case, you have given much, which to me means that the Lord has much to give back. Your service to others has been great! Keep up the good work!

    As to the owies, sorry dude! Glad you have the best doctors, meds, and wife that God can provide.

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete