Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Four Inch Heels

This story bookends the same first visit with Dr. Anker described in the previous post. On arrival at the Radiation Oncology clinic, a medical assistant takes my stats and leaves me and Carla in the exam room to await Dr. Anker. "He'll be along in a few minutes," she says. So Carla and I take seats beside the exam table and I stare out the open door back into the hallway.

I observe there is minimal traffic first thing in the morning. Only the occasional medical looking person walks by. White lab coats appear to be standard issue for the staff. All of a sudden I notice that one of the lab coats drifting by has naught but bare legs and a pair of four inch heels protruding down to the floor.

What? Who wears four inch heels to work? Especially when you work on your feet all day. Could she be a doctor, I wonder? A few of the men passing by are wearing slacks and ties, after all. Maybe being dressed to the nines is no big deal around here. I am explaining my conundrum to Carla when who should pass back by but this staff member on stilts. Now we are both scratching our heads asking, "Where is the cocktail party?"

Then Dr. Anker shows up. During his visit we are told that part of preparing for my radiation treatment includes another CT scan with a barium enema. "The contrast fluid in your rectum gives us the best x-ray images of your tumor," he explains. Can I come back for this in an hour? Oh, and don't forget to change into a hospital gown making sure that the opening is to the back.

An hour later I find myself face down on a CT scanner table with my hospital gown open for business behind me. A radiation therapist enters the room and places a narrow plastic tube into my rectum thereby admitting the barium contrast solution. "Please hold still and keep your head to the side during the procedure," she instructs. I comply. My view is now restricted to mostly a counter top and the floor.

As the radiation therapist crosses the room to run my scan I see the bottom of her lab coat, bare legs, and a pair of four inch heels.


No comments:

Post a Comment