Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Monday, November 8, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays

I love the sound of rain in the morning. I am lying here in bed during that contemplative part of dawn and it starts to rain. Love it! In fact I love fall as the weather changes. It's definitely my favorite season. Give me a good book and some hot chocolate and... never mind, it's Monday morning and I've got to get to work soon. Maybe tonight?

So speaking of good books, I recently finished listening to Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike. (Thanks, Rod.) Wow. What a story. If you didn't know, Lance survived stage four testicular cancer before going on to win the Tour de France seven consecutive times! Makes me wonder what cancer can do for my marathon times...

And speaking of marathons, yesterday was the New York City Marathon. It's been on my wish list for a long time. I mention the marathon because a perfect stranger to me just ran it while raising money for the American Cancer Society. Very cool. Her name is Michelle Czech. I'll bet you're wondering how I know this.

First I discovered Angela Clarno. She's been surviving stage four rectal cancer since May, 2007. I spent the last three days reading her blog, Ang's Journey—powerful, emotional, inspiring stuff. She's a tough fighter, just like Lance. Michelle is Angie's friend. Angie has an absolutely amazing support group. Now I have three more heros in my awesome support group.

Ahhh... can you hear that? The rain just started up again. Thank you rainy days, thank you Lance Armstrong, thank you Michelle and Angie. I think I am ready to take on Monday now.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool post! I love Fall too... And reading. And running. Isn't it an interesting sort of blessing that others' trials can be to us? Others' suffering can benefit us in such a profound way... Go NYC Marathon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Westminster misses you...I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, Fall is one of the best seasons of the year! Listening to rain fall is very relaxing, which is why I'm sure we buy recordings of it to listen to as we go to sleep. Unfortunately, when it rains here, it snows! We are covered in it! Driving in it is a whole other story. It's funny, snow is beautiful as it blankets the earth, but it doesn't make a sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Great comments! Great friends!

    I love it!

    Steve, you are also an inspiration to others. You always have been!

    Love you, The Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry steve ill take my sunshine and 4 inches of rain a year
    but i still love yea
    unk ao

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, my friend. I also love rainy days. Now Im reminded of the song Rainy Days and Mondays, by The Carpenters. I like that you are finding strength in others and finding that support group. Its so important to have that, and I agree with Mary, how others going through the same thing can help build you up and help you get through it. Love ya buddy, and keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete