Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A great day, times two!

Today is my wife's 45th birthday. Happy birthday, Carla! We just finished eating her birthday coconut cream pie and sent the kids off to bed. They did well today. While Carla took me in for a visit this afternoon with my surgeon, the kids cleaned the house and decorated the ballroom with streamers and balloons. When we got home we had dinner, opened her presents, danced a bit in the ballroom and then settled in for a family movie. Not a bad night. Carla just told me that her best present of the day was having a tumor free husband. I'll explain.

Today makes three weeks out from the end of my chemo and radiation. This is when my colorectal surgeon asked to see me again. He's the one who did my rectal exam to stage the tumor in the first place—the infamous Dr. Bradford Sklow. See my Bend Over post for a description of that exam. So today was the follow up appointment to assess the effects of the chemo and radiation. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I got an A+. Those 28 rounds of radiation kicked my tumor's butt right on out of mine. Take that, tumor, and good riddance!

Today I also got to ride the rectal exam table again. My surgeon went in to take a look around. He couldn't find the tumor anywhere. What is left of it looks more like an ulcer about the size of a dime. Since I started out with a two inch tumor blocking a third of my rectal circumference, that's pretty darn cool. Need I remind anyone that a dime is the smallest coin in the set? Doctor Sklow said he was very pleased with the effects of the radiation. It did exactly what they knew it could do. The results just can't be any better.

Today I am not cancer free, but I am tumor free. What an awesome way to finish phase one of my protocol. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you, Lord. Thank you, family and friends. Thank you, everyone at Huntsman Cancer Institute. The rest of our appointment this afternoon was spent going over the surgery, the pre-surgery prep work, and signing all of the consent forms. I go in Friday morning, December 3rd, for the procedure. Let's git 'er done!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Aunt Carla! We are so glad all is turning out well. God is good! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is fantastic news. We are thrilled for you. Congrats!
    Love you all,
    Will and Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!!!! Happy day, happy month, happy year ... til I get to say it again! May the sweetness you have come back to a hundred fold. May I learn to be like you.

    .... great ... Uncle Matt is calling us to breakfast. NOW! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Happy late Birthday to Carla and HAPPY DAY to you both! That's AWESOME news!!!!!! Couldn't be happier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Carla, for what its worth, you dont look 45, I mean Im just sayin. LOL. Steve that is so awesome to see that your are tumor free. Im love not seeing you so run down, so now we need to go get our T-Shirts now. Stupid Cancer! It looks like you have made some changes to your site, I like them. Anyway my friend, Im really happy that all is going well for you. I am as always praying for you. So keep kicking the CRAP out of the CANCER, and Git-R-Done.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm back! That Uncle Matt sure can distract a person!! (smiles) Hey, Uncle Matt, can I blame other stuff on you too??

    Steve, I am thrilled that you are officially tumor free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear you still have a pain in the butt though. (hehe) I hear you have the best surgeons there are so I am sure all will be well with that too.

    To your continued success!!!

    With loves and hugs coming your way, and prayers too,
    The Big Sister

    ReplyDelete