Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Noises in the Night

Steve here. I have slept most of the day and well into the night. Bishop Spilker stopped by to visit this afternoon. He works nearby. Then my neighbor Mark came in after work. I felt bad because I kept drifting off to sleep. Still, it was nice for the company. He visited with Carla for several hours.

I never did get my own room. I am the last one left in the holding area. So in a way I do have my own room. Various nurses have been in and out of my room doing all sorts of tasks—checking vitals, emptying my JP drain, clearing my ostomy bag, monitoring my epidural, bringing more ice chips.

The last nurse to come in had to swap out my foot pump. This pump inflates two pressure cuffs wrapped around my calves. They inflate randomly every few seconds to prevent blood clots from forming in my legs. Sometime during the night it started beeping each time it pumped. This constant beeping eventually woke up me and Carla. Now she is back to sleep and I am left wide awake.

I have enjoyed reading through Carla's posts. She's doing a great job keeping everyone up to date. Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. I feel amazingly well under the circumstances. Yay for the epidural! Soon I hope to start sitting up and walking a bit. We'll see how that goes.

4 comments:

  1. I'm amazed you are blogging again. Compare the level of care you are getting (regular checking of vitals) with the level of care Carole (Pain in the Bum) got post her surgery and there is quite some difference.
    Take care and take things slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve and Carla, Rich and Kimberlee Cluff here.
    Glad to here your epidural is working well and the surgery went well. I actually had to do a similar surgery a couple days ago called an Abdomino Perineal Resection. The poor guy will not get reanastamosed(put back together)and I was glad you were not in the same situation. How long will they allow you to have the epidural? You and your family are always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, Great to hear from you! I didn't think you'd be awake for ... let's say days! I am so glad you have the epidural, and the ice chips, and the nurses, and the specials beeps in the night ('cause that just means someone cares about you), and your super excellent choice in a sister-in-law for me!!!
    Love You Forever, The Big Sister

    PS: I texted all my kids about your surgery's success and texts have been coming back all morning with YEAHS! and prayers thanking the Lord! So many people love you and your family. Isn't it cool?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear from you, Steve! Glad it was a good day-- thank goodness for drugs, eh?

    ReplyDelete