Daniel 3:17-18

Daniel 3:17-18 "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pin Cushion


Tomorrow is my last LOVENOX® injection! I have had one a day since coming home from the hospital. According to their web site, "LOVENOX® helps reduce the risk of developing deep vein thrombosis, also known as DVT blood clots. LOVENOX® alters the blood's normal clotting process, so clots can't form as easily, and neither can a potentially fatal pulmonary embolism." In short, I get one shot a day to keep any possible blood clot caused by the surgery from getting into my lungs or heart and killing me. I think it's a fair trade. If the cancer or the chemo or the radiation or the surgery doesn't kill you, why let an incident blood clot take you down?


For the first three days Carla administered my shots. A nurse at the hospital coached her through the first one on our last morning before coming home. On day three I flinched when she stuck me, leaving the syringe dangling from my abdomen. Carla did recover and finish the injection, but that was it. She really doesn't like hurting me, and I had no desire to hurt myself, not even for curiosity's sake. Fortunately, we have a neighbor who is a nurse practitioner. Kim volunteered to come over each morning and give me my shots. She said she loved me and all, but she had no problem sticking me with a needle. Some friend. She's been sticking me ever since. Thanks, Kim. We love you, too!


The experience for me has been mixed. Some days I still flinch and some days I don't feel the poke at all. Most of the time the injection stings for a few minutes and occasionally it doesn't. In any case, I'm ready to be done. After 20 of 21 injections I feel like a pin cushion.

4 comments:

  1. I found these jabs quite painful Steve...they really did sting and although it's just a temporary sting, it did hurt.
    I felt sorry for my husband having to do them for me because although he puts a brave face on, he didn't enjoy being the cause of my discomfort.

    I also had to wear the surgical stockings for a whole month afterwards - did you? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carole.

    No surgical stockings for me. I did wear the pressure leg cuffs while in the hospital. They were hooked up to an air pump. After awhile I could sleep right through the hissy noise. Just one more sound in the room. I'm feeling gypped on the surgical stockings.

    Carla would have kept jabbing me if Kim hadn't volunteered. She certainly didn't enjoy being the cause of my discomfort either. Kudos to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. steverino
    i wouldof been happy to come up and jab that spike in your gut
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're hanging in there, both of you. ... or is it that you are both just "sticking" around. HeHeHe
    Loves to you, The Big Sister

    ReplyDelete